1. participation in the development of normative legal documents, regional and national programs on issues of waste management and their use;
2. system control over the observance of legislation in the field of waste management, including the prevention of dumping of secondary material resources at the facilities for the disposal of waste (landfills);
3. suspension and annulment of permits for the storage and burial of production wastes in the order, established by the legislation of the Republic of Belarus;
4. issuance of the conclusions about compliance or non-compliance of possibilities of the license applicant (licensee) to the licence requirements and conditions;
5. attraction (within the competence of the department) of persons to administrative responsibility for violation of legislation on environmental protection;
6. the implementation of the state control in the field of environmental protection;
7. the implementation of the state control in the suburban zones of water reservoirs, etc.