The main tasks and functions of the department:
1. detection, suppression and prevention of violating the requirements of environmental legislation, made by individuals and legal persons;
2. establishing the causes and conditions contributing to commission of violations in the field of environmental protection;
3. bringing the violators of the legislation in the field of environmental protection to justice, detection and fact-finding of harm to the environment in accordance with current legislation;
4. the control over the observance of requirements of environmental legislation of the Republic of Belarus by individuals and legal persons;
5. planning and organization of inspections of compliance with environmental legislation on waste management, use and protection of waters, air protection, protection of soil, subsoil, flora and fauna;
6. participation in the preparation of issuing statements of conformity of the object, taken in the facility to project documentation, etc.